The PRGI team is very excited about a NEW Community Centre for Pegasus and North Woodend communities – but the Council needs your say on where to put it.
Our community centre is unique and plays an important role in fostering a sense of community and providing resources, services and opportunities for individuals and families.
Did you know the existing community centre space is leased and was only an interim solution?
In 2020 / 21 Council undertook a feasibility study that looked at the current and future needs of community facilities in the Pegasus/ North Woodend area. Following extensive consultation and research, the feasibility study determined that both Pegasus and North Woodend communities would require a multi-use community facility building.
Subsequently, Council set aside funding in the 2021-31 Long Term plan to purchase land for community facilities. For the Pegasus area, funding was allocated to build a 400m2 facility between the 2023-25 financial years.
WHERE TO BUILD IT
Two potential locations have been selected. Both options are comparable in cost to build, size of the facility, services available, urban location, costs to run and parking and public transport availability.
What we need you to tell the council is what location you prefer this new community centre to be built:
1. Option One is Council-owned land and is adjacent to the already established retail activity and the health hub.
2. Option Two is further away from residential properties. It has more surrounding
land for future growth and would be developed as part of a wider town centre development proposed by Templeton Group.
We need you, our community, to tell the council what you prefer.
WAYS TO HAVE YOUR SAY:
- Information session - WED 08 MARCH 6PM - 7.30PM: Council are holding an information drop-in session at the Pegasus Community Centre, (8 Tahuna Street) on Wednesday 8 March from 6pm-7:30pm.
Can’t make it to the information session?....... There are super easy ways to have your say:
- Complete their online survey here - just scroll to the bottom of the page. Complete the survey below before 5pm on Wednesday 15 March 2023.
- PDF Form: Simply click here, print the form and send it back to the council (free postage!). We will also have forms at the Community Centre.
All feedback must be in before 5pm on Wednesday 15 March 2023.
ABOUT THE PEGASUS COMMUNITY CENTRE
Our community centre is the unique, and the only one like it in the entire Waimakariri District. This because our PRGI, Pegasus Community Centre Sub-Committee coordinate a team of 26 volunteers who staff the centre during three times a week.
During these times, the public have access to free books and jigsaws via our Community Book Cave and can access information about Pegasus and the surrounding areas. There is also a wide range of information on local community and social services available to support our community.